Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Meet the Teachers



Laura writes

Today I was able to sit and talk with some of our teachers. I don’t really know who they are. It was a good time to get to know them and just hang out. They play such an important role in the lives of these children.

Then I realized that you don’t know them either. And I thought to myself that this is not good. So I asked each one a little bit about themselves and will now introduce them to you.

I will start with the Hand and Hand church of Yembi 3. It is the partner church of the Ashland, OH Grace Brethren Church. The school here started last year and has two classroom levels. Saturne and Ami teach at a PHC Hand-in-Hand (village) school just outside Bangui city limits.

Mr. Aime Mpogo teaches the higher level, level two. He shares the way he started working with PHC, “After I finished my schooling at the university, I started working with children. My pastor recommended me when Barb Wooler asked him if there was anybody he would suggest as a teacher.” This is his second year teaching and he has 30 students. His wife is going to school to be a teacher. She is studying in a different city and Mr. Aime is watching their two children here in Bangui. One of Mr. Amie’s favorite Bible verses is Acts 1:8, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”






Mr. Saturnin Befio is in level one. He has 63 students and knows most of them if not all by name. I saw this first hand and am still greatly impressed! This is his first year with PHC. Some of his thoughts: “I really like my work teaching the orphans. As they grow up, God will bless them. Then He will look on me and say ‘Well done my good and faithful servant.’” Mr. Saturnin is also very active in the True Love Waits program. He is not married yet and is a positive example to the young people. One of his favorite verses is 1 Cor 15:58, “Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”

Stay tuned for more teachers…

No comments: