Monday, April 14, 2008

Wii, Cable TV and Sponsorship


Yesterday I was paging through a book that I hadn't picked up for a couple months and a piece of paper fell out. On it were some jottings I had made back in January, when I was visiting a church where we have a lot of PHC family/sponsors.


The first note I had made on this paper was about a family who had just signed up to become sponsors a month before, around the holidays. This family asked their children what they wanted for Christmas. One of the suggestions was a Wii game system.


Wii, as any parent knows, was THE HOTTEST GIFT ITEM for this past Christmas season. I was initiated into the experience in January when I was visiting the home of a PHC sponsor in Columbus and so tell you I understand why it was the hottest gift of the season. It is a blast!


Imagine it! Children choosing to feed, clothe, educate and care for an African orphan instead of having a Wii in their home! After experiencing Wii, I have the context for understanding what a selfless, generous act that was!


The second note I had made on this paper was about a sponsor who every day makes a real sacrifice to finance her sponsorship ministry to her orphan. This gal is in full time ministry and lives on an exceedingly tight budget. So when she was in the Central African Republic last year helping us (helping us build the Orphan Welcome Center) and fell in love with a little orphan boy, she had a choice to make. She new that the only way for her to finance her sponsorship ministry to her new little African orphan friend was to cancel her cable service.


Well, as a news junky and one who really enjoys watching TV, I was once again impressed, no, humbled by this kind of sacrifice.


These are only two stories among many, most of which no one else knows, of how PHC sponsors are making sacrifices every day to help African orphans become people of excellence in all they are and do.


We are humbled that you are willing to join us in doing whatever it takes to help these kids. I speak now for the entire PHC team when I say that we all, from the bottom of our hearts, thank you for your sacrifice of love for our kids. We are impressed with and profoundly grateful for the calibar of people that God is raising up to join our family of sponsors.


THANK YOU.

No comments: