Friday, October 31, 2008

Last Day Bitter-Sweet Blues

A photo album will be posted in an blog entry on Saturday.

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 30th

Carol Claes writes:

This is it, our last day. We leave here changed - more open, loving, and aware of God’s heart for people. Please Lord keep us tender and remembering, faithful and sharing. A trip to the Air France office this morning to check luggage and get our boarding passes was made easy by the presence there of Dr. Hibaile. He is obviously well respected, practicing what he preaches about character, because “we’re with him” was all it took to get us through smoothly.

We were glad to make another trip to the Orphan Care Center to sit in on our own child’s class, and be amazed all over again at the job these teachers have. In Abigail class they were doing math problems on the chalkboard. School began this week, but they are still working on separating out the classes. Abigail's class at present has 80 students, but will be split next week. I sat on the bench with her, unfortunately displacing 2 children, who had to stand by the wall or squeeze into another row. Needless to say, I and my camera were a distraction that the teacher was glad to get rid of!

Our kids were then transported back to the Guest House for lunch (hamburgers and French fries and chocolate cake). I gave Abigail her dress that matches mine and she beamed! Also, thanks to the generousity of my teammates (I’m low on funds) I was able to give her a Sango New Testament. I highlighted John 15:5. I so pray that this is a milemarker in her life and spiritual development. I was very hard to see them leave here. She told me, “God provided a way for us to meet. Do you think the tears were flowing from me? Oops, here they come again.

But, let’s go home. It’s too hot here! I can say to everyone that the CAR is full of wonderful people, and that PHC is absolutely worth the prayer and money given for this ministry.

As they say here, Ciao!

Lee Ann writes:
Here’s what I remember about today. Our visit at school with our kids was all I expected. Blandine’s class was working on grammar and arithmetic. They all seemed pleased to have a visitor and she especially seemed proud to have someone sitting beside her on her bench.

As we left the center to share lunch together back at the our residence, I was struck by the fact that she didn’t know how to open the car door. Probably was the first ride in a passenger car ever. I think she’ll remember this for a long time.

She, too, received a matching dress. We had fun shopping for material a week ago . . did I say a week ago . . where did it go? We had a skilled seamstress who had 7 outfits done in 2 days. I was able to give her a New Testament and included some favorite Bible verses. She said she didn’t have a Bible.

It was so hard to say, “Good Bye” but she told me she no longer had sadness in her heart as she had Jim and I now.

A side note, I got to meet 3 beautiful children at the school who have much sadness. They lost their widow mother several years ago and were living with their aunt. Their aunt and grandmother were walking on the road, the aunt carrying a little baby on her back. They were hit and killed by a car. . . The grandmother survived but is still in the hospital.

While these children do have a home to live in with some extended family members, they are not treated the same as the biological children in the family. When food and money are tight, the orphans get slighted. The PHC group mother has been keeping close tabs on these children and tries to make up for the deficit in these children's care, but she is limited in what she can do.

I had some funds that people gave to help out with just such as case as these three children -- George, Prince and Regina. With these funds we purchased some of the things these children need:
  • 3 foam mattresses
  • 3 sheets
  • a lantern

I got to meet the children, who are in school at PHC. They do have someone looking in on them and helping them until something else can be worked out. It was through the money that I was able to have sent over that provided for these children. PHC will continue to work through their needs but at least they have bedding now thanks to many of you.

Also, you should know that over 100 kids not in the PHC program showed up the first days of school in hopes of entering the PHC program, but there just aren’t enough spaces for them right now.

PHC also needs sponsors to take on some of the fifty or more new children taken in this year. Barb Wooler (bwooler@gbim.org) is the contact person if you would like to become a PHC sponsor. You can also sponsors a child through the PHC website (http://www.ph-c.com/) which will have some of these new children posted next week. These folks do a wonderful job . . . We are anxious to come home but missing our children and we haven’t left yet!! God Bless . . . Lee Ann

Brenda Artrip writes:
I’ve been talking to people and still need to get cleaned up before we leave so I’ll make this short. Delphin asked that I give my love to Terry and Godiva. He knew Godiva’s name from my letters! I got to be a room mother today and visit his class. He thanked me for everything over and over…such a little man…I am so proud of him.

Delphin presented me with a picture of him taken just Sunday (how he got it developed is a mystery to me). He was so very proud when he presented it to me. It is now one of my greatest treasures! He seemed sad to say good-bye but promised to work on his English so that we could write more often. I told him that we’d have plenty of time to talk in heaven!

I am emotionally wrung out, hot and looking forward to getting home now that my last visit with Delphin is over. In the picture he is wearing his Flambeau uniform (kind of like Bible Boy-Scouts) and he has already earned the first level (a big accomplishment I’m told for a boy his age.)

Blessings and home soon -- B

No comments: