Sunday, October 26, 2008

Carol Claes's Orphan Visit to Meet Abigail's Family

Carol Claes writes:

It’s Saturday, October 25—We went to the Central market this morning, and in the afternoon did a home visit for me with my orphan and two visits with two of the Carvers orphans. Let’s hurry over the market part, which reminded me of some parts the flea market at Holmes County minus the Amish. Not the open market, of course, with fruit, vegetables, raw meat, fish, and live chickens but the stores have similarities!

VISIT WITH ABIGAIL'S FAMILY
I have prayed and we have prayed as a team and others have prayed for me that this visit would be everything that God means it to be. It’s all about Him, and Abigail. So it doesn’t matter what I think happened at the home visit, I trust God to do the right thing. So now that I have set you up for something bad, we had a good time.



Abigail was a little shy and maybe embarrassed by all the attention at first. Her grandmother, who is the head of the household, her siblings, and cousins were all very gracious and welcoming. Her grandmother, whose name is Awa, is a very knowledgeable about herbs and knows which leaves and bark have medicinal value for which illnesses. Of course she didn’t tell me about this herself; I found this out later. I gave Awa some gifts of food (no live chicken), and Abigail some small gifts. Laura was our translator.
Abigail is so sweet though, every time I would ask her a question she just smiled, nodded, and said yes. They were prepared for our visit with chairs set up in front of their house. We were invited into the house briefly, accompanied Abigail to draw water from the well, and went to a nearby church for a little more private visit. As with all these visits, we had attracted a crowd. After lots of picture taking, smiles, hugs, hand holding, and a great rendition of “When the Saints go Marching In,” it was over!
This time with Abigail is obviously my highlight; other highlights would include singing “Do You Know the Way to San Jose” in the car, listening to Barb do Peter Sellers imitations, picking ants out of rice, rest time, and having electricity all day today! Keep praying ! Joyfully, Carol








The well where Abigail goes to fetch water and carry it back to her home.






Carol tries her hand at pulling up a bucket of water from the well.








Abigail's family. Her grandmother, Awa, knows how to make medicine from certain leaves, roots and barks. This provides some income for the family.

No comments: