Thursday, October 30, 2008

Uno Games at PHC Orphan Center

Wednesday, October 29th

Carol Claes writes:
We received a wonderful treat this morning, having two very special men come to the Guest House and share their ministries and hearts with us. Dr. Hibaile is the head of an organization called CIDEL (Center International for Development of Ethical Leadership.) He is a police chaplain, works with university professors, the Prime Minister of the CAR, and youth. The goal is to encourage good character which will lead to ethical conduct in these areas of leadership. He leads seminars and meets one on one with individuals. He and his wife will be on the plane with us to Paris tomorrow on their way to Israel. The other gentleman, Dr. Mboi Andre is president of the union of Grace Brethren churches in this country. (There are many, and the total membership for the country around 300,000.) He has a heart to encourage the pastors, and also a desire to reach Muslims with the gospel. It was a treat to listen to them. There is a Pastor’s Conference next week, and some of the guests from the US arrive in the morning to stay here at the Guest House. They’re kicking us out!

Next, we were off to the PHC Orphan Care Center! I was blessed to spot Abigail right away, there is no way to miss her winning smile! They let “our” kids out of class and let us spend time with them in the “Grand Salon”. We played Crazy 8’s, had fun with balloons, bubbles (my favorite), and sidewalk chalk on the cement floor. I think Abigail liked posing for, and taking pictures best! We sang “Jesus Loves Me” in English phrase by phrase. I never want to go a day without praying for her. Ask me, keep me accountable, please.

Well, I need to let someone else have a turn to share. I’ll see some of you on Friday!

Joyfully, Carol

Kay Carver writes:
Kay Carver writes: We met with our orphans at the center today. What a joy… Kirk spent time with Junior while he drew pictures with his new notebook and colored pencils. I got to play with Petula. Junior remained a bit guarded and shy but was obviously grateful and touched by the attention he received from Papa Kirk . Petula blossomed, talking in Sango, singing, dancing and cheesing for the camera.

I took the opportunity in the afternoon to visit a True Love Waits (ACLS) meeting of the leaders with missionary Laura Engle. These teenagers and young adults meet together on Wednesdays to experience the lessons they in turn share with their clubs throughout the city of Bangui. It was encouraging to see over 30 young people committed to the biblical truth of remaining sexually pure. We took a city taxi and I am glad we chose to share the front seat with the taxi driver because we picked up 6 other people along the way.

Later in the day we watched the sunset over the Oubangi river enjoying the view across the river of the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Lee Ann writes:
Blandine shared that, when she completes her school work, she wants to work for God which was like music to my ears. While it is of course hard to communicate, her winning smile and sparkling eyes tell the story of a girl at peace. We certainly have had fun playing games together. She has a brother whom I have met. But, I haven’t met her younger sister, Marlene. Her aunt is taking care of her since her mother died 2 years ago and her father 13 years ago. She got to talk to her mother about PHC before she died so hopefully she her Mom had peace knowing that she would be cared for. She gets to come to lunch tomorrow at the mission house with 5 other children. We’ve told the kids that we are having an American meal . . hamburgers and French fries, of course. We’ll have a happy houseful. We are packed and ready to go to the airport early in the morning to check in. Then we wait until 11:05 tomorrow to depart. It will be 5:00 PM here. We get into Columbus at 8:15 PM so it will take us a total of 27 hours to get home. So, see you soon in Columbus. Please pray for safe travel!! Thanks so much to ALL the staff who have taken such good care of us and lovingly planned every detail of our visit!!

Brenda writes:
I am so content. I got to play Uno with Delphin today at the Orphan Center and met Chamberlin, the boy that my friend Sylvia sponsors. I adopted him of for the day too. He was trying to teach me Sango—I’m a poor student! Chamberlin quickly gained a reputation of being a real flirt. He was helping me communicate with Delphin. Chamberlin has the biggest dimples and I would love to bring both boys back with me.

I bought 2 elephant hair bracelets—one for me and one for Delphin. I gave it to him today and asked Laura to translate that we have a saying that an elephant never forgets so I am giving him an elephant hair bracelet to help him remember me! Every so often I saw him looking at it and smiling. Tomorrow we have lunch together and I’ll give Delphin his back pack and more t-shirts. He was wearing the yellow Columbus Crew shirt today and it was already all pulled out of shape and dirty…I’ll bet he hasn’t taken it off since I gave it to him!

Sunset on the Ubangi River was fabulous. The guys on the river paddle these ancient-looking canoes. They are made from hollowed-out logs just like the “olden-days.” While we couldn’t take photos the pictures in my head will be with me as long as I live.

Sorry to leave but so happy and thankful to be going home to my family!

No comments: