Friday, October 24, 2008

Flat Tire Adventure & Visit With Delphin -- Brenda Artrip

Brenda Artrip writes:

Pot holes, flat tires and beautiful faces…No words can tell you what it looks like, smells like and feels like here. So many people, so much poverty and yet so much happiness and love.

I cried through my first meeting with sponsored child Delphin. He is beautiful and extremely sweet. Before I tell you about our meeting, let me tell you about getting there.

We heard a funny noise that kinda sounded like an air compressor. By the time we realized that it wasn’t a machine that we were passing but the machine we were riding in, the tire on the Jeep was flat. Barb, our team leader, searched high and low for the jack and other equipment necessary to change the flat but to no avail. Very quickly, a crowd gathered. Kids and adults alike are huddling around the jeep. While we waited for help, Barb starting teaching the kids to play “Rock, Paper Scissors” —too funny! Took a bit but we finally got tools and helpers and were on our way. Kids just want to greet us and the brave ones run over to shake our hands.

VISIT WITH DELPHIN
Delphin is absolutely one of the most beautiful boys I’ve ever seen. He walked beside me and reached up to hold my hand. He likes to say my name, Breeeenda, he makes it sound like music. Today was just an initial meeting. Tomorrow I get to meet his caregiver and take presents and food. I don’t know how I’ll make it through without crying…can’t even say more here without tears.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Brenda,

I'm thinking about you and keeping you in my prayers! I know you're doing big things!

Love,

Michelle