Friday, October 10, 2008

GO Team Journal Entry: Marg Hull

October 10, Margaret Hull writes:











Pictured (l to r) Margaret
Hull, Lois Wilson & Becky Dick

Here we are, Barb, Becky, Lois and Margaret, thankful that it is finally time to go to bed and we can begin to try to catch up on some of the sleep we missed over the past two days as we were en route to Bangui, Central African Republic. We’re so thankful that God brought us and all eleven of our checked trunks through safely, and that M. Zokoe, husband of Madame Alexandrine, (director of the Project Hope and Charité) was at the airport to hasten the processing of all that baggage.

I, Margaret, wasn’t prepared for the emotional bomb that would explode in my heart as we made our way into the city I had left in 1989 after 25 years of ministry in this country. I would miss seeing many dear friends who had died in the interim of my absence, and others who, because of the danger of travel, would not make the trip down to Bangui.

This afternoon we went out to the center to see and participate in Mme. Zo Kwe’s meeting with her groups, a combination of four of the total of eight orphan groups, which meet weekly for fellowship and encouragement. We were deeply impressed with the joy and well-being of the 200 children gathered there – their happy singing, their touching testimonies, even the obvious health of their bodies. They came by the dozens to shake our hands, to practice their English on us, and to crowd into the pictures we were taking. God is at work in the lives of these children.

I talked with one student, Mandaba, who on Monday will begin his 4th year of study at the Yaloke Christian High School. He told me that he is grateful to God and his sponsor for the possibility of studying at this fine school, and for the care he receives from the Project Hope and Charite. Barb told me that he is an excellent student, at the head of his class, with a clear Christian testimony. I thought, “What a worthwhile investment his sponsor has made.” But then I realized that every investment in the life of a child is a potentially eternal, greatly worthwhile investment. I’m anxious to meet my little gal, Josette, perhaps tomorrow.

I had the unexpected pleasure of talking with children and nephews and nieces of the people I had worked with years before; children who have become adults and are now living and working for God. For instance:

  • Dibona Paul. He is the nephew of one of my favorite nurses, and was one of my medical students. He now serves as the doctor of the Project, and works in a surgical clinic here in Bangui.
  • Elisabeth, daughter of Wieina, who was a nurse at Boguila for years and died a few years ago. She is a teacher in one of the Hand to Hand schools.
We are only one day into our adventure and have already seen so much. Our focus for this weekend is on a training seminar we are offering on Monday and Tuesday (Oct. 13-14) to over 30 PHC teachers. It will be taught by Becky Dick, who taught young children for 35 years, and the rest of us will be helping with translating and leading discussions.

No comments: